After you've suffered a work-related injury, such as fractured vertebrae, you'll need to work with your employer, your insurance carrier, and your Iowa work injury lawyer to proceed with an Iowa workers' comp claim.
Effects of a Fractured VertebraThe effects of a spinal injury can be quite devastating and can leave an employee temporarily or permanently disabled. Regardless of the exact type of back fracture that occurs, rehabilitation will be an integral part of your treatment plan, and you may need considerable time for recuperation.
Some of the effects of and complications from fractured vertebrae can include the following:
- Long and short-term pain.
- Pinched nerves.
- Stiffness and lack of mobility.
- Visual deformities (such as bumps on the spine).
Filing a Claim for Your Injuries
After you've been injured at work, you'll need to be aware of the time limits specified in Iowa's workers' compensation laws. You should speak to your Waterloo work injury lawyer soon after your accident to begin collecting information for an Iowa workers' comp claim. Some of the important time limitations are as follows:
- Notice of Injury - you have 90 days to inform your employer of your injuries.
- Claims Reporting - your employer has only 4 days from the time of learning of your injury to file a first report with the Workers' Compensation Commissioner.
- Statute of Limitations - employees generally have 2 years from the time the injury occurred to file an application for settlement, but it's highly inadvisable to wait that long, especially due to the serious nature of a fractured vertebra.
The best thing you can do after you've suffered a severe work-related injury is to seek the best medical help available. Consult with an attorney to make sure your claim is handled in a fair a timely manner, so you can begin getting your life back on track.
Contacting a Waterloo Work Injury Lawyer
Your life can be thrown into disarray after a fractured vertebra injury on the job. The Waterloo workers' compensation attorney team at Walker, Billingsley & Bair know the importance of protecting your Iowa workers' comp claim from the get-go. Learn more by ordering this FREE book; Iowa Workers' Compensation - An Insider's Guide to Work Injuries: 7 Deadly Mistakes To Avoid If You Are Hurt At Work or by calling 1-800-707-2552. You can also contact us online to schedule a free consultation.