Strain and Sprain Injury in the Workplace & Your Right to Workers' Compensation

The Des Moines economy includes many industries where workers face a risk for strain and sprain injury. Healthcare, construction, transportation, warehousing and utilities are all a major part of the area's economic activity. If a worker in one of these industries (or others) suffers a sprain or strain, they can file a workers' compensation claim to cover their medical bills and lost wages.

What are sprains and strains injuries?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, sprains, strains and tears accounted for approximately 40 percent of all workplace injuries nationwide that required time away from work in 2012.

Sprains and strains both involve injury to the soft tissue, but there's a difference between sprain and strain injuries. Sprains are tears of ligaments that connect bone to bone; strains are tears of muscles or tendons that connect muscle to bone.

There are three different grades for these strain and sprain injuries:

  • Grade I - a mild stretching of the soft tissue;
  • Grade II - more serious stretching and maybe some tearing, but not a complete tear of the soft tissue; and
  • Grade III - a complete tear or rupture of the soft tissue.

How to Treat a Sprain or Strain from a Workplace Injury

Inform your supervisor of your injury as soon as possible. One of the key treatments to these injuries is the RICE method. RICE stands for rest, ice, compression and elevation. This is used to manage pain and reduce harmful swelling in the area. So workers may miss time from work, especially if their job is very physical.

A crucial part of any treatment is rehabilitation. Doctors may prescribe workers many exercises to help strengthen the affected area. Additionally, workers need to know the timeline and plan for dealing with the injuries to make effective progress.

In severe sprains and strains, surgery may be required to repair the soft tissue. These injuries can even lead to permanent disabilities and limitations with work in severe cases.

Iowa's Workers' Compensation System

Workers' compensation provides partial wage replacement and full medical benefits for all work injuries. To qualify, the injury must be caused by a work condition and cannot be the result of the normal build up/tear down of body tissue. Traumatic sprains and strains qualify as compensable injuries in most cases, especially if repetitive tasks or an acute injury causes the soft tissue injury.

Wage replacement benefits are set at 80 percent of the employee's average spendable earnings. The benefits start on the fourth day of absence from work, and if the injury lasts more than 14 days, the employee can receive benefits for the first three days of disability.

Additionally, if the employee returns to work for "light duty" at a lower wage, workers' compensation pays two-thirds of the difference between the two wages.

If an injury becomes a permanent partial disability, workers' compensation pays benefits according to either the employee's impairment rating or loss of earning capacity depending on the location of injury.

If you are considering a workers' compensation appeal or need help filing your workers' comp claim in Des Moines, hire a qualified attorney to represent your interests. Walker, Billingsley & Bair can help you receive all the benefits you deserve under the law. Contact our office at 641-792-3595 to discuss your work injury.

Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 20 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.