In cases of an accident at work, workers’ compensation is a no-fault benefit, meaning if the injured party is hurt at the workplace during the course of employment, he or she will be eligible to file a workers’ compensation claim. Ankeny, Iowa work comp attorneys can help injured workers when filing a claim.
This rule applies whether it’s the fault of a coworker, a boss or the injured worker, or even if the injury is acquired over time by repeated motions or exposures.
The only exceptions to the no-fault rule occur when:
- the victim willfully intended to injure him or herself;
- the victim was intoxicated at the time of the accident; or
- the victim was participating in non-work-related activities.
In most cases, however, victims of workplace injuries will almost always be eligible for the benefits of workers’ comp.
Workers’ Compensation in Iowa
In the state of Iowa, most employers are required by law to have workers’ compensation coverage. That means, virtually most workers who become injured in an accident at work are eligible to receive workers’ comp benefits when injured on the job.
Workers’ compensation benefits can cover:
- Health care expenses – These include charges for hospital care, doctor’s appointments, diagnostic tests, medication, and mileage to and from treatment.
- Disability – Victims can receive weekly payments of two-thirds their average wages while injured and unable to work.
- Death – When a workplace injury results in death, the deceased’s survivors can recover compensation, funeral funds and more.
- Rehabilitation – In times when a workplace injury has rendered a worker unable to return to his or her former job, a workers’ compensation claim may cover vocational rehabilitation to help him or her re-enter the workforce.
Need more information? Consult an Ankeny, Iowa Work Comp Attorney
Workers’ compensation claims can be complicated and confusing for victims. Anyone hurt on the job is encouraged to contact a local attorney to discuss his or her options. Victims may call an Ankeny, Iowa work comp attorney at Walker, Billingsley & Bair at (888) 435-9886 to set up an appointment to go over an accident at work.