When you file an Iowa Workers' Comp claim you'll deal with paperwork, communicating with your employer, visiting doctors and working with the insurance company. During all of these meetings and correspondence, you may damage your claim unintentionally.
Working with a Des Moines Workers' Compensation lawyer can help you avoid 5 of these common actions that could ruin your Iowa Workers' Comp claim:
- Not filing your claim soon enough - Iowa law states you must file a report of a work accident and injury or work-related condition within 90 days of the injury/condition discovery.
- Failing to file with the Iowa Workers' Compensation Commissioner - You need to submit your claim within 2 years of injury if you haven't gotten disability benefits or 3 years if you have, or risk losing your benefits completely.
- Not seeing the required physician - Iowa Workers' Compensation laws state that your employer or their insurer has the right to require you to see a physician they choose. Failing to do so means they can deny paying for your treatment.
- Returning to work too early - Even if the company doctor clears you for work, talk to your Des Moines Workers' Compensation lawyer first to make sure that it's in your best interest.
- Withholding information from your lawyer - Make sure that you notify your lawyer of all communications you have regarding your Iowa Workers' Comp claim.
Avoiding these 5 actions can help give your Iowa Workers' Comp claim the best chance at being approved. If you do run into problems in obtaining your rightful benefits or just want some guidance from a professional who helps injured Iowa workers, you can contact a Des Moines Workers' Compensation lawyer at our offices at any time to discuss your claim.
Contacting a Des Moines Workers' Compensation Lawyer
With all of the ways you can unknowingly damage your chances at a fair Workers' Comp claim settlement, it's best to have professional help. The Des Moines Workers' Compensation lawyer team at Walker, Billingsley & Bair know the importance of protecting your Iowa Workers' Comp claim from the get-go. Learn more by ordering this FREE book; Iowa Workers' Compensation - An Insider's Guide to Work Injuries: 7 Deadly Mistakes To Avoid If You Are Hurt At Work by calling 1-800-707-2552. For immediate assistance or to schedule a consultation, call 1-(888) 435-9886.