We live in a world where some people would rather avoid responsibility for their actions by lying. If you are on the scene of a car accident in Iowa and someone is lying, you should be sure to get names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses who can tell the truth about what happened. Also, make sure good pictures are taken of the scene, location of the vehicles, skid marks, etc. If you are not able to do either of these because of your injuries, then call a family member or friend who can do this for you.
If you find out later on that the other at fault driver is lying about what happened you can:
1. Preferably before the accident or police report is finished and filed, talk to the police officer investigating the crash to make sure the truth is known;
2. If you have witness names and information provide it to the police officer so they can contact the independent parties to find out what really happened; and
3. Consider hiring a private investigator and/or a qualified injury attorney to try to obtain a recorded statement from the other driver. If they are lying, then chances are they will not be able to keep their lies straight and credibility is a big factor in Iowa personal injury cases.
If none of the above works and the police officer ends up finding you at fault and gives you a traffic ticket then consider the following:
1. Do not just mail the ticket in and pay the fine because this could be considered an admission of fault by pleading guilty;
2. If you are required to appear in court for your ticket, then appear and either pled not guilty and then a trial date will be set for your ticket. However, if you do not want to fight the ticket in court you could ask to be found guilty instead of pleading guilty which may not be considered an admission of fault; and
3. Hiring a criminal defense attorney to fight the traffic ticket in court. However, keep in mind that criminal defense attorneys will sometimes say they will do your personal injury car crash case also. No one can do everything well so be careful about hiring a criminal defense attorney for your car accident claim.
This is a condensed short list of some things to consider when the other driver is lying about what happened. For more information about Iowa Car Accidents Cases request a copy of our book that we offer at no cost or risk to you. If you would like to discuss your injury matter right away with one of our injury attorneys then call now 641-792-3595 for a no cost car accident evaluation.