Last Updated: 9/6/2023

Many types of work injuries such as strained/sprained muscles, broken limbs and torn ligaments can result in a need for physical therapy in order to restore a worker to top condition. If your work injury requires rehabilitation, your costs should be covered under your employer's workers' compensation policy.

When is rehabilitation necessary?

Rehabilitation is necessary when a single procedure or treatment is not enough to resolve your health issue fully. The most common type of rehabilitation is physical therapy and is used to restore full range of motion and strength in injured limbs and joints.

Another common type of rehabilitation is re-training for your job. If you have been out of work for several months, you may need to be re-trained to resume your previous work. If you suffered a life-altering injury such as the loss of a limb, you may need to learn new ways to adapt to your regular work duties or learn new duties to replace tasks you no longer are able to complete due to your injury.

Finally, rehabilitation can include psychological counseling. Traumatic accidents like oil rig explosions and building collapses can cause mental trauma in the form of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). If you witnessed a catastrophic accident in which you were seriously injured or saw a coworker die, you might need therapy to overcome any lasting feelings of fear, anxiety or depression left after the event.

If Your Employer Will Not Cover Rehabilitation

Make sure that you have a referral from your primary treating doctor explaining your need for rehabilitation services. It may be a case of your employer or the insurance company only wanting you to see their providers, and you will be referred to a different rehabilitation service.

If your employer does not feel it is necessary to offer you special training or job duties to suit your recovery or changes in physical or mental ability, you should explain your current condition, share doctor's notes and finally share your prognosis for recovery.

If your doctor has not provided you with a plan for re-training at work, be proactive and develop a plan of your own that you feel would benefit your return to work. Make sure that if your doctor has told you to resume only light duty for a period and that he or she defines what light duty does and does not entail. These items should be shared with your employer to attempt to resolve any discrepancies in allowing your rehabilitation coverage.

When Your Employer or Insurance Won't Allow Rehabilitation, Call Us

Your rights to workers' compensation benefits rely on your employer reporting your condition to the insurance company and the insurance company's response to the documentation. If your employer fails to provide the full documentation of your injury, medical care and recovery, the insurance company may not cover necessary treatment.

If you are denied rehabilitation service coverage of any type, it's time to talk to a workers' compensation attorney. The Walker, Billingsley and Bair workers' compensation law firm is here to help injured Iowans seek the full amount of compensation and care for their work injury, including rehabilitation. Contact our office today to schedule a FREE consultation regarding your case and legal options. For immediate assistance, call (888) 435-9886 or fill out our online contact form and get the information you need.

Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 28 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.