Last Updated: 2/1/2024

In 2013, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released a report stating that there were three million non-fatal workplace injuries the previous year. Many workplace injuries result in a need for a denervation treatment or procedure.

If you or someone you love has been afflicted by an on-the-job injury, it can alter quality of life in an irrevocable way. Sometimes a doctor may recommend a denervation procedure to relieve chronic pain and increase quality of life.

What is a denervation procedure?

Denervation is the interruption of nerve signals to a particular body part. Denervation can occur from an injury to the nerves, or can occur because of a purposeful procedure used to relieve pain.

It can be a treatment for those who suffer from chronic pain because it can block pain signals to the brain. There are even stories of people who have undergone other surgeries to relieve pain or repair an injured body part, only to find relief with denervation procedures.

Of course, you should discuss at length any medical procedure with a trusted physician to ensure that it is the right treatment. Also discuss alternative therapies so you are educated on your treatment options. But a lot of workers are concerned about whether workers' comp will cover their procedure, and what they must do to ensure workers' compensation benefits will cover it.

Will workers’ compensation pay for a denervation procedure?

The first step in receiving compensation for injuries incurred on the job would be to report your injury to your employer and file a claim with workers' compensation.

The injury must have occurred while on the job, and the employer can choose medical care. Many workers might feel as if their chronic pain is clear, but it is up to a medical professional elected by the employer to deem the claimant is in need of a denervation procedure.

If you believe you need a denervation procedure but your doctor doesn't approve it, workers' comp may not cover it if you go ahead with it anyway. If you're unsatisfied with your care, you may request alternate care, first through your employer or the employer's workers' comp insurance company. If that's unsuccessful, you may appeal to the Iowa Workers' Compensation Commissioner.

Additionally, claimants may find that navigating a workers’ compensation claim can be an arduous task. In addition to physician references and examinations, many who file workers’ compensation claims find it best to hire an attorney who can argue that a patient is entitled to certain benefits.

Call the Attorneys at Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Iowa

The attorneys at Walker, Billingsley, and Bair can assist workers in Iowa who were injured on the job and, if necessary, can appeal denied workers' compensation claims or address any problems concerning treatment. Call Walker, Billingsley & Bair at (888) 435-9886 or contact us online to set up a consultation about your case.

Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 28 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.