Riding a motorcycle is a risky business. With ever-increasing traffic jamming our highways and frustrated commuters behind the wheel, a motorcyclist not only must learn to drive defensively, but also must learn to anticipate and react to the poor or aggressive driving of other motorists.

According to the Iowa Department of Public Safety, motorcycle accidents accounted for only 2 percent of all road accidents in 2012, yet they resulted in 12 percent of serious, injury-related accidents and 14 percent of all accident fatalities. The best way to beat these statistics is to follow the rules of the road and wear a helmet. However, even the most cautious riders have accidents, and if you suffered disfiguring injuries in a motorcycle accident, you may pursue compensation for damages.

Check Your Insurance Policy and Consider a Third-Party Liability Claim

It is a good policy to keep complete coverage on your bike; it is a dangerous risk not to have yourself properly insured. Not all accidents involve other vehicles, and you need to be able to cover medical and living expenses while you recuperate. If you have been seriously injured or disfigured due to weather conditions or unintentional driver error, you are entitled to collect money from the insurance company if you have purchased the right type of motorcycle insurance coverage. Additionally, you may file a third-party claim against another driver's liability insurance if the other driver caused your accident.

Hire an Attorney Immediately

It is important to talk to an attorney as soon as possible after the accident. If you were in a serious accident, never settle with an insurance company until you obtain professional legal advice.

Insurance companies have lawyers and experts on their staff, and it is in their best interest to offer a quick settlement. This, however, is not usually in the victim’s best interest. Even if the settlement sounds fair, you are not in the physical or emotional condition to make proper judgments on these kinds of decisions. A reputable attorney will represent you, so all you have to worry about is getting better.

Types of Compensation for Which You May be Eligible

Victims of motorcycle accidents who suffered serious or disfiguring injuries may be entitled to compensation for their medical bills, hospitalization and long-term care, hiring of caregivers, physical therapy and any loss of earnings. Depending on the severity of the injury, these expenses not only may compensate for current damages, but also future ones.

In addition, an accident victim may be entitled to pain and suffering and emotional distress related to the disfiguring injuries. In the case of extreme scarring or amputation of a limb, a person may need both emotional and physical therapy to help heal the wounds. There also could be long-term complications and the possibility of future issues that need to be addressed when discussing compensation.

Talk to an Attorney at Walker, Billingsley & Bair

Ensuring you receive the right amount of compensation if you are badly hurt or disfigured in a motorcycle accident is paramount to keeping your quality of life as high as possible. It can be very difficult for someone who has been badly injured to navigate the web of red tape the insurance companies spin. Speak with an attorney at Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Des Moines and let us work towards the best settlement for you. Call us today at (888) 435-9886 to set up a free and confidential consultation.

Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 28 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.