Last Updated: 11/22/2023

All car and truck accidents are scary. But when the driver flees the scene before you have a chance to recover any information, a car accident can feel even more unnerving. Unless you have uninsured motorist protection on your car insurance policy for a hit and run accident, filing a claim can be aggravating on your own.

Types of Coverage Necessary in a Hit and Run Accident

If you’ve been in a hit and run accident (which was most likely the other driver’s fault, hence the ‘running’), you’ll want to file a claim with your insurance company.

However, unless you have one of the following insurance types, recovering damages may be impossible.

  • Uninsured motorist
  • Medical payments
  • Collision

Uninsured motorist coverage will cover your medical expenses if you’re in an accident with another driver who doesn’t have insurance (or a hit and run). Medical payments coverage also will pay for medical expenses, and does so regardless of who’s at fault. Finally, collision coverage will pay for physical damage to your vehicle in the event of an accident, again, regardless of who is at fault.

How to File Your Claim

If you have the above insurance types, then proving fault probably won’t be necessary. However, you will have to determine the extent of your damages. This includes showing proof of medical bills and records. An insurance adjuster will likely assess your vehicle (or choose a mechanic who will evaluate it) to determine damages.

If You Identify the Driver

Not all hit and run accidents lead to a cold trail; often, the police will apprehend a hit and run driver. When this is the case, then you have the right to file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance (assuming that they have insurance). Or, you can also file a lawsuit directly against the at-fault driver. If you choose the latter option, you must file within two years’ time under Iowa Code 614.1. As a note, the driver may face both civil and criminal penalties for fleeing the accident scene.

The Importance of an Attorney in a Hit and Run Claim

From tracking down the driver to gathering medical evidence, you need an attorney after a hit and run car crash. To set up a free case consultation with an Iowa hit and run attorney today, call Walker, Billingsley & Bair now. You can reach us at (888) 435-9886 today! 

Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 25 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.