Sitting down with an attorney after a serious car accident can be scary, especially if it is your first visit and a free consultation.
Many people are unsure of exactly what to ask, since they do not know what questions and answers are considered free and which are not.
The good news is, if you are dealing with an attorney that has extensive experience handling car accident cases, then typically you are encouraged to ask anything and everything and there will still be no charge.
That being said, here are the top five questions that you should ask during your free consultation:
- What strategy will you take when handling my claim? Make sure that whatever strategy is planned, it includes constant communication between your family and the firm.
- What do you think my case is worth? It is important to remember that no attorney should ever promise to obtain a specific settlement amount for you (if they do, you should not hire that attorney), but a lawyer should be able to give you an idea of numbers based on your medical bills and the policy limits of the at-fault driver.
- How much will I have to pay your firm to handle my case and when will I have to pay that fee? Stick with attorneys that offer their services on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you will only have to pay an attorney fee if a fair settlement is reached, and that fee will be a percentage of the total compensation.
- Will you assist me in paying my medical bills? Dealing with the mounting medical bills from the car accident can be challenging, so finding an attorney willing to help you pay them after your settlement is a great way to ensure that you don’t have financial surprises later on down the road.
- Will you bill me for asking questions after the free consultation is over? If your car accident claim is being handled on a contingent basis, there should be no charge – ever – to speak with the attorney or his staff.
To schedule your free consultation, call Walker, Billingsley and Bair at 641-792-3595 today.