For medical help after a work injury, can I see my own doctor even though the insurance company requires I see theirs?

When seeking medical help after a work injury, you will generally see a doctor that your employer or its insurance company chooses. If you have a dispute concerning the care you are receiving, you may wish to consult with an attorney in Oskaloosa, who can go over Iowa workers' comp laws and the options they may provide you.

Receiving Medical Help after a Work Injury

According to workers' comp laws in Iowa, the employer has the right to choose the medical care you receive. If you are not satisfied with the care or you have concerns with the treatment being recommended, you should discuss this with your employer.

Only in certain circumstances will an employee be allowed to request alternative care. Even then, your employer or the insurance carrier may deny your request. In this case you would have to appeal the decision to the workers' compensation commissioner.

According to Iowa workers' comp laws, if you receive an impairment rating that you believe is too low, then you have the right to see another doctor. This will be at the employer’s expense, but it will also be of his or her choosing.

Contacting a Workers' Compensation Lawyer in Iowa

It can feel like your choices for medical care are significantly limited when you are filing a claim for workers' compensation. If you believe you are not being provided proper care, seek legal advice from a workers' comp lawyer at Walker, Billingsley & Bair. We will explain your rights and the options you may have available when seeking medical help after a work injury (888) 435-9886.

Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 22 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.