Last Updated: 1/25/2023
When dealing with insurance adjusters after an accident in Iowa, you should be straightforward and give them only the facts of the accident, nothing more.
Insurance adjusters may come across as affable, but beware: their goal is to get you to relax, open up and say anything that could damage your Iowa personal injury claim. After all, they work for insurance companies and their goal is to help the insurer pay out as little as possible.
Described below are certain things you should and should not do when dealing with insurance adjusters. Otherwise, you could jeopardize your Iowa personal injury claim.
- DO get the insurance adjuster's name and contact information as well as the company they represent.
- DO give the insurance adjusters your full name and contact information.
- DO take notes.
- DO ask the adjuster if they have any witnesses to the accident in Iowa.
- DO be general when describing your injuries.
- DON'T agree to have the conversation recorded.
- DON'T discuss anything with insurance adjusters except the location of the accident in Iowa, the date and time the accident occurred and the type of accident (car, truck, motorcycle).
- DON'T agree to anything.
- DON'T sign anything.
- DON'T answer questions about your family.
- DON'T identify any witnesses.
- DON'T provide the name of your doctor.
It would also be a good idea to speak with a Newton personal injury lawyer before you speak with any insurance adjusters. Your Newton personal injury lawyer can go over the details of your case, help determine who was negligent and, if appropriate, take steps to build a solid Iowa personal injury claim. With the help of your Newton personal injury lawyer, you might be able to pursue compensation for your medical expenses, lost earnings and pain and suffering.
Contacting a Newton Personal Injury Lawyer
The Newton personal injury lawyer team at Walker, Billingsley & Bair work hard to level the field between injured Iowans and insurance companies. That's why we provide this FREE book; The Legal Insider's Guide to Iowa Car Accidents: 7 Secrets to Not Wreck Your Case. To learn more about what our legal team will do to help you protect your Iowa injury claim, contact Walker, Billingsley & Bair to schedule a no-cost consultation - (888) 435-9886.