Distracted driving jeopardizes the safety of everyone on the road, and Iowa cell phone laws are incorporating this fact into their legislation. If you're the victim of a car accident in Ames, take your case to an Ames personal injury lawyer and discuss your legal options.
Distracted Driving Statistics
The reason Iowa cell phone laws are becoming more stringent is because negligent driving claims the lives of thousands of Americans each year.
The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that:
- an estimated 20% of accident injuries in 2009 report distracted driving as a factor;
- 18% of fatalities in distraction-related crashes cite cell phone usage as a primary distraction;
- nearly 5,500 Americans lost their lives in 2009 due to distracted driving, and nearly half a million more were injured;
- using a handheld device quadruples a driver's risk of getting into an accident; and
- using a cell phone while driving delays the driver's reaction time to the equivalent of having a blood alcohol concentration of .08% (intoxicated).
Effects of Advanced Handheld Technologies
There's a positive as well as a negative side to the new technologies cell phone companies are designing. For example, smartphones now offer internet browsing, which can further distract people if they use it while driving.
On the other hand, some new technologies may try to prevent driver distraction by disabling service while the car is in motion. Some providers already have these kinds of service available, but safety researchers remain unclear as to the efficacy of these technologies.
The best way to prevent a car accident in Ames is to adhere to the laws and to practice safe driving habits. Even when you're careful, though, accidents do happen. An Ames personal injury lawyer can answer any questions you may have regarding the laws and how they may affect your particular situation.
Contacting Ames Personal Injury Lawyer
Not everyone adheres to Iowa cell phone laws, which can quickly lead to a car accident in Ames. The lawyer team at Walker, Billingsley & Bair work hard to level the field between injured Iowans and insurance companies. Order our FREE book for Iowa accident victims; The Legal Insider's Guide to Iowa Car Accidents: 7 Secrets to Not Wreck Your Case - 1-800-707-2552.