Last Updated: 11/30/2023

If you are able to prove that your injury is work related then there are 3 basic types of benefits that you should receive.  Please keep in mind that there are exceptions to these so you should seek legal advice concerning the facts in your case.  Click here to learn more.

1. You have lifetime medical benefits for medical treatment, including doctors’ appointments, prescriptions, mileage, etc related to your work injury.  Your medical care is generally provided at the choice of your employer and/or insurance company subject some exceptions.  If they send you to their doctors, then they are responsible for paying for all medical care necessary to treat your work injury that their doctors recommend.  Also, you are entitled to be reimbursed at the rate of $.555 per mile effective July 1, 2011, for all mileage you incur going to and from doctors’ appointments, physical therapy visits, obtaining prescriptions, etc.  Keep in mind that the amount you are reimbursed for mileage changes every July 1.  

2. If their doctors say you are unable to work or you have restrictions, but your employer will not allow you to come back to work, then you should receive weekly payments called TTD- Temporary Total disability.  These are the weekly payments made to you while you are healing after a work injury.  If you are able to go back to your job, but because of either restrictions or lack of work you are making less than when you were injured, you should receive TPD- temporary partial disability.  Overall, the TTD and TPD benefits are called healing period benefits and these are only paid until such time as their doctors say you have healed as much as possible and you have reached what is called MMI- maximum medical improvement.  

3. The 3rd type of benefits are called permanent disability benefits.  These are paid once you reach MMI if the doctors say that you have what is known as a permanent impairment rating which is explained in more detail later on in this video.  If your medical condition heals and you are left with no permanent problems, then you may do not have a claim for permanent disability benefits.  If you have a permanent impairment rating and/or permanent restrictions, then you are likely owed permanent disability benefits. Keep in mind that if they voluntarily send you a workers’ compensation check then you can cash it so long as you have not entered into a settlement agreement and/or are not required to sign any settlement documents as a condition for receiving the check.  If you have questions about this, you should discuss this with an attorney who understands the specialized workers’ compensation laws to help you decide what you should do.
To learn more including the 7 Deadly Mistakes to Avoid if You are Hurt at Work order a copy of my FREE Book entitled “Iowa Workers’ Compensation- An Insider’s Guide to Work Injuries”.  Why offer a Free Book?  I have represented hundreds of Iowans hurt at work and have seen too many clients make mistakes before they had the “right” information resulting in them losing thousands of dollars.  Iowans hurt at work are now beginning to realize that they should learn about Iowa's work injury laws.  Finally, you can learn about work injuries in the comfort of your own home with no risk or obligation.  So to learn how to avoid costly mistakes and your rights Call Now 641-792-3595 or go to  For immediate assistance call 641-792-3595 and ask for Corey. 


Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 28 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.