Last Updated: 2/9/2023

If you live in Des Moines, having a plan of action in place for a night out of drinking is a good idea. Getting behind the wheel after having a drink is dangerous and increases your chances of being in an alcohol-related accident. To help get you home safely, here’s a list of designated driver services in the Des Moines area to whom you can turn.

DSM Sober Drivers

DSM Sober Drivers is a designated driver service that serves those living or drinking in Polk County, Iowa (for rides outside of the Des Moines metro area, a credit card on file is required). Here’s how it works: If you’re out and drinking, you can call DSM Sober Drivers, which will arrive with two drivers – one to take you home, the other to pick up your car. The cost of a year-long membership is $25, and every ride you take (up to 20 miles) costs an additional $30.

Drivers on Call

Resembling a taxi services, Drivers on Call is meant specifically for those who are too drunk to drive themselves home safely. The service is supposed to be faster than calling a cab and may be more affordable, depending upon where you’re heading. Usually, a Drivers on Call driver will arrive within 15 to 20 minutes of a call for services, according to KCCI 8 News. The service costs $30 within the Des Moines metro area and $40 outside of it.

Uber Des Moines

In September 2014, the popular transportation company, Uber, which is known for getting drunk drivers home safely, arrived in Des Moines. Uber works by allowing users to call a ride by touching a button on a mobile device, and fares are calculated based on time and distance.

Taxi Services

If you’re out and about and have had a drink or two, there’s always the option of calling a taxi. If you haven’t signed up for the designated driver services above, choosing the services of a taxi is always a better option than driving yourself home.

Take Legal Action Against a Drunk Driver

If you’ve been injured in Des Moines by the actions of a drunk driver, you have the right to file a claim for damages. In Iowa, claims must be filed within two years’ time of the accident’s occurrence, according to Iowa Code 614.1. At Walker, Billingsley & Bair, our attorneys can help file your claim today.

If you need legal representation after being injured by a drunk driver, call our offices now. We’ll provide you with a free case consultation to get you started. Reach us today at (888) 435-9886 or contact us online

Corey Walker
Connect with me
With over 28 years legal experience, Corey has been recognized for his work as an injury attorney.