If you have been in a car accident in Iowa then at some point you will wonder, how much is my case worth. First, there is no precise formula in calculating this. You may have heard that 3 times the medical costs are the standard, but it is much more complicated than that.
Information needed before determining the value of an Iowa car accident claim:
· How severe are your injuries?
· Did you require surgery?
· How much insurance coverage does the other driver have? (Under Iowa law the state minimum for personal injury is only $20,000 which does not go very far if you have sustained serious injuries. Note: you may have insurance coverage on your own vehicle called UIM that will fully compensate you, but there are several legal requirements you must properly follow to be able to recovery UIM)
· How much time did you miss from work due to your injuries?
· Are you injuries permanent?
· Are you partially at fault for causing your injuries? (Under Iowa personal injury law we have comparative fault which means your damages can be reduced if you are found to be partially at fault for the incident)
· Do you have permanent scarring?
· Did you miss any of your doctors or physical therapy appointments?
· How much damage was done to your vehicle? (Minor fender benders with little or no damage are generally worth less than claims where a car has been totaled)
· Has your personal life such as hobbies, exercise, etc. been affected?
· There are literally dozens of factors and this is just a short list.
There are too many factors to give a new potential client a precise number before looking at the medical records and further investigating a case. If you call an attorney and they tell you that they can get you $_________ before they look at your medical records and before they investigate your case then proceed with causation. There are some attorneys who will tell new potential clients exactly what they want to hear. They do this so the client is happy and signs up with them. However, later on, they may have to backtrack and tell the client they were wrong, the client was wrong, there is new information, etc. We think it is a bad practice to tell a client how much their case is worth before knowing the facts.
When will I know my case's value?
At our office, we do eventually tell our client how much we believe their case is worth once we have looked at their medical records and thoroughly investigated their case. For our clients, we prepare a demand letter in which we set forth in detail the facts that support our case, the positions we are taking and how much we demand in order to settle the case. Our clients are involved in reviewing and approving the demand letter and actively involved once settlement negotiations begin. Once we begin negotiating with the insurance company we tell our clients if they offer being made are good or not. We answer questions, describe possible outcomes and tell our clients how much they will receive down to the penny. With our help, our clients make an informed decision and decide what is best for them and their family.
Want more info?
If you would like to know more about Iowa personal injury and accident laws including how to avoid costly mistakes, request a copy of our Iowa car accident book that we offer at no cost or risk because we have seen too many Iowans injured in car accidents make costly mistakes. Request your copy today and read it in the comfort of your home.
If you would like immediate assistance, we offer a no-cost car accident consultation and evaluation. We will meet with, explain Iowa personal injury laws and discuss more of the factors that determine how much your car accident claim is worth. Call now 641-792-3595 to speak with one of our car accident attorneys.