Questions We Are Asked Each Week By Clients...

We are often asked questions like how much should the insurance company pay?  How are my weekly benefits calculated?, etc.  So we have put together some of the questions we here the most and the answers to them.  We hope this helps you avoid making a mistake in your Iowa personal injury, car accident, dog bite, work injury or other injury matter.

  • Page 5
  • What are the most common hazards in the workplace cited by OSHA?

    All workers should feel safe in the workplace. As such, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) addresses workplace safety in Des Moines and sets workplace standards for different industries to which employers should adhere. Despite the rules, violations regularly occur. According to OSHA, the following are 10 of the most common hazards in the workplace that they must investigate.

    Fall Protection Standards

    Under section 1926.501(a) of Safety and Health Regulations for Construction, all employers must put in place protection from falls, and employees shall only be allowed to work on surfaces that have “requisite strength and structural integrity.”

    Some fall protection requirements named under the section include this list.

    • Protected sides and edges
    • A guardrail or safety net system
    • Personal fall arrest systems
    • Covers over holes
    • Other barricades or fencing systems

    Respiratory Protection

    Workers must be protected from chemicals, toxins, or other pollutants. If other methods are not available (ventilation, confinement), then workers shall use respirators. Unfortunately, a lack of respiratory protection is the fourth most commonly cited standard.

    Machine Guarding

    A lack of guarded machinery is extremely dangerous and can lead to a number of accident and injury types, including amputation injuries. OSHA Machinery and Machine Guarding Standards require that guards “shall be affixed to the machine where possible and secured elsewhere if… not possible.”

    Guards are required—but not always used— with the following types of machinery.

    • Guillotine cutters
    • Power saws
    • Shears
    • Alligator shears
    • Jointers
    • Portable power tools
    • Power presses
    • Milling machines

    Electrical Requirements

    Every year one of the top four causes of construction worker fatalities is electrocution.  Electrical equipment used by workers should be examined on a routine basis to ensure that it is free from known hazards. Unfortunately, examination does not always occur, leading to accidents.

    The other six common workplace hazard violations.

    • Hazard communication
    • Scaffolding
    • Powered industrial trucks
    • Lockout/Tagout
    • Ladders
    • Electrical wiring method standards

    Speak with a Des Moines Attorney Who Knows Workplace Safety Principles

    If you’ve had a workplace accident, then you need to consult with an attorney who knows OSHA workplace safety standards, as well as who is liable.

    What’s more, you need a lawyer who is committed to putting in the work required to investigate the exact cause of your accident, build a case, and help you to determine which claim type is right for you (workers’ compensation vs. third-party liability). At Walker, Billingsley & Bair, we will do all that and more. Call our offices today at 888-435-9886 to learn more, or fill out a contact form.

  • How do I report an OSHA violation?

    The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, is responsible for setting and enforcing workplace health and safety regulations. If you notice a workplace safety violation, then you have the right to report the problem to OSHA. Here's how to report an OSHA violation.

    Report the Problem to Your Employer

    The first step is notifying your employer of the issue. If your employer becomes aware of the safety hazard, they may take action to correct it. If they do, then you may not have to take any additional action. But if they don't, proceed to take other measures to coerce the employer to correct it.

    Take Detailed Notes Regarding the Safety Problem

    When reporting OSHA violations to the agency, it’s very important that you provide the administration with as many details as possible. As such, take specific notes regarding the safety problem, including exactly what the problem entails. Also note who is aware of the problem, when the problem began, and potential risks to workers.

    Report a Safety Problem to OSHA In Person or On the Phone

    After you identified a safety problem, notified your employer of the problem, and took thorough notes regarding it, you can report the problem in person at a local OSHA office. You can also report it over the phone by calling toll free at 1-800-321-OSHA.

    File a Complaint with OSHA Online

    If you would rather file your safety concern online, you have the option of filing a complaint through the administration’s website. The online form is completely anonymous and includes questions about the description and location of the hazard, to whose attention you brought the problem, and what your current status within the workplace is (former employee, current employee, etc.).

    For Life-Threatening Situations

    If the situation is an emergency, or an “imminent life threatening situation,” you should bypass filing a claim online and call OSHA immediately. Use the number above – 1-800-321-OSHA (6742) – to report emergency situations.

    Take Legal Action if a Workplace Hazard Injured You in Des Moines

    Workers’ compensation in the state of Iowa allows you to recover damages for harm you sustained in a workplace injury. In some cases, though, a third party (outside of your employer) may be responsible for the harm you suffered. In either situation, an attorney can assist you in recovering benefits or damages. Call Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Des Moines today at 888-435-9886 or use our contact form to schedule your consultation.

  • Can I get fired for filing a workers' compensation claim in Des Moines?

    Lots of workers wonder, “Can I get fired for filing workers' compensation after being hurt on the job in Iowa?” The answer is yes because in Iowa most employees are employees at will.  The employer may not come out and say that is the reason but, if you are fired after your work injury, you may have a claim for wrongful discharge and should promptly contact an attorney as the time limits for filing a complaint can be short. While the right to file for workers' compensation is an action protected by Iowa law, sometimes a worker’s employer may retaliate. If you’re an employee who filed a claim for workers’ compensation in Iowa and are worried that your employer may react negatively, here’s what you need to know.

    Workers’ Rights Under Workers’ Compensation

    Workers compensation is designed as a contract between an employer and his or her employees that stipulates that by providing workers’ compensation insurance for job-related injuries and diseases, the employee will forego his or her right to civil action against the employer.

    In Iowa, workers’ compensation laws provide medical and disability benefits to workers who are injured or harmed on the job. According to the Iowa Division of Workers’ Compensation, the majority of employees who are injured while working are covered.

    Employer Retaliation for Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim

    While the laws in Iowa clearly state that an injured worker has a right to file a workers’ compensation claim for benefits, some employers may retaliate against the employee for doing so. Examples of retaliation may include giving the employee a poor performance review, taking a negative action against the employee or even firing the employee. So you can get fired for filing for workers' compensation; however, all of these forms of retaliation are against the law.

    What is At Will Employment?

    If you an At Will Employee it means you can be terminated or dismissed by an employer for any reason as long as it is not illegal. This means they do not have to establish a just cause for the termination. That is why they may tell you that your termination wasn't related to your workers' comp claim even if it was.

    Iowa Law and Wrongful Discharge provides a review of Iowa’s wrongful termination laws, which stipulate that if a worker is retaliated against for doing something that is protected by existing public policy (like filing a workers’ compensation claim for benefits), then wrongful termination has occurred. As such, the employee has the right to file a claim for wrongful discharge in an Iowa court. If an employer fires an employee, the act must have occurred for the employee's actions that are not protected by state or federal law.

    Contact a Work Injury Attorney in Des Moines Today

    If you’ve filed a claim for workers’ compensation following a workplace injury and your claim has been denied or if your employer has retaliated against you for doing so, you may need legal help. At Walker, Billingsley & Bair, our personal injury attorneys are ready to sit down and provide you with a free consultation regarding your case today. Schedule your consultation now by calling us today at 888-425-9886 or by contacting us online

  • How dangerous is working with styrene for Des Moines workers?

    Employers and workers alike should take measures to prevent exposure to dangerous materials. One such material that may cause illness to exposed workers is styrene. Styrene is a synthetic chemical often found in plastic, rubber, and different resins.

    Certain workers – particularly those who work in the plastics or rubber industry or manufacture boats or tubs – are at risk of exposure to styrene. While working with styrene doesn’t always cause harm, it can, especially when employers or workers don’t follow workplace safety standards.

    The Dangers of Styrene

    According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), styrene can negatively affect the central nervous system.

    In fact, exposure to styrene may result in any of the following listed below.

    • Headaches
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Confusion
    • Drowsiness
    • Malaise
    • A feeling of intoxication
    • Trouble concentrating

    In addition, some workers may experience respiratory problems. Further, styrene is also a skin irritant and may cause a burning sensation when contact with skin occurs. Exposure to styrene can also cause nausea, dermatitis, depression, and asthma. Long-term exposure can cause brain disease, liver damage, nerve tissue damage, and more.

    Workers Can Collect Workers’ Compensation for Styrene-related Illness

    As the risks of styrene are evident and workers incur occupational illnesses and diseases as a result of styrene exposure, companies should address the issue. They should implement policies to train workers in the use of hazardous materials and how to avoid exposure to them. Employers should always ensure that all workers have equipment necessary to reduce dangerous levels of exposure.

    If you developed an illness or disease you believe is related to working with styrene in your place of employment, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. In Des Moines, it’s important to inform your employer of your illness or disease as soon as possible. And then start filing your workers’ compensation claim, with help from a lawyer.

    In some cases, workers may have a valid third-party liability claim against a party other than an employer or co-worker. This may be the case if a third-party contractor was negligent, leading to over-exposure to styrene because it did not follow proper safety standards.

    Contact a Workers’ Compensation Attorney Now: Call Walker, Billingsley & Bair

    If you developed an illness from working with styrene, don’t hesitate to take action. Call the attorneys at Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Des Moines for help getting the compensation you deserve. Reach our offices now at 888-435-9886 or via our contact form.

  • How does workers' compensation and employer's liability work?

    Every state including Iowa has laws in place to protect the rights of workers when they’ve been injured on the job. These laws require all employers to carry workers’ compensation policies, which pay for medical care and lost wages when an employee is hurt at work.

    But some become confused about workers' compensation and employer's liability – i.e., must an employer be liable for an injury in order to recover compensation?

    In workers’ compensation cases, there is a no-fault rule that eliminates the need to prove that your employer caused your work-related accident, injury or illness. If your condition is a direct result of your work duties or related to an incident that occurred while performing your job, you are entitled to recover benefits under workers' compensation laws.

    Can I file a lawsuit if my employer was negligent?

    Generally, no, you cannot file a lawsuit against an employer, even if the employer was negligent and caused your injuries. Workers' compensation not only protects workers by ensuring they have benefits available to them in the event of an injury, but also protects employers from liability in most cases.

    The exception to this rule may be if the employer intentionally caused the injury. But this is rare and can be difficult to prove, so in most cases, you cannot file a lawsuit against your employer.

    What if somebody else was negligent? Can I still get workers' comp?

    Yes, if another party other than your employer or a co-worker caused your injury, you may recover workers' compensation benefits, provided that the injury occurred during the scope of your employment.

    So if you were in a car accident on the way to work, this generally is not considered in the scope of your employment, and you would be unlikely to qualify for workers' compensation. You could pursue a liability claim against the other driver, though, if that driver caused your wreck, if you can prove liability.

    But if you were in a car accident while running errands for your employer, then you may be entitled to workers' compensation whether you were at fault or not. And if the other party was liable for your accident, you may also be able to pursue a third-party liability claim in addition to workers' compensation benefits; but you'll have to prove the other party's liability. Review how these cases affect each other with your lawyer.

    What Does Workers’ Compensation Cover?

    Workers’ compensation coverage is designed to pay for medical bills related to your injury. This may include examinations, tests such as X-rays or MRIs, prescription medications, therapy services or follow-up visits. Workers’ compensation benefits also pay for reasonable mileage reimbursement for your traveling requirements to receive care.

    You are also entitled to disability benefits. There are several types of disability benefits for which you may be eligible depending on the circumstances of your case, so consult a lawyer about the types and amount of damages you may recover.

    Walker, Billingsley & Bair Can Help with Workers’ Compensation Cases

    Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Des Moines is dedicated to helping workers obtain fair workers' compensation and settlements for work-related injuries or illnesses. We understand the laws surrounding workers’ compensation claims and we can help you navigate the complex claims process. Especially in cases where a partial or total disability is the result of the work-related accident or illness, it is essential that your rights are protected and that you receive the type of compensation to which you are entitled.

    Call us today at 888-435-9886 to set up a free consultation to discuss your case with an attorney.

  • How do I schedule/reschedule a workers compensation hearing?

    You can schedule or reschedule a workers’ compensation hearing by following the procedures provided on the Iowa Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) website. However, many workers feel intimidate by the process and fear they’ll make an error that could be costly for their case. An attorney can assist you with scheduling your hearing, as well as preparing you for the meeting, and helping you present the facts to the overseer.

    Scheduling a Workers’ Compensation Hearing

    The first step in scheduling a hearing is to look at the court calendar and determine which dates have openings. To check the calendar, you can visit the DWC’s hearing schedule page and select “Venue” in the left sidebar. After selecting blue arrow beside the appropriate venue, e.g., Des Moines, you can search in the third column for any dates that are highlighted in blue. These are dates that are available.

    Once you’ve selected a couple of possible dates, you’ll need to make sure each party approves of the date(s) before requesting a hearing. You then email the DWC with your hearing request using the email address listed on the hearing schedule page.

    When you request a hearing, you must include the following information in your email.

    • The file number
    • All parties' names
    • Your preferred hearing dates and times
    • The venue in which you want your case to be heard.

    What You Can Expect at the Hearing

    Your case will be heard by the workers' compensation commissioner, the head of the DWC. It’s the DWC’s job to administer, regulate, and enforce the workers’ compensation laws, and it’s the commissioner’s job to oversee disputes.

    At the hearing, the commissioner is to remain unbiased, hear both sides of the case, and make a determination based on all the presented evidence. 

    Some of the evidence she can take into consideration when determining the outcome of your case include the following.

    • New medical records
    • Recent treatment results
    • Your pain/injury journal
    • New developments in your condition
    • Records and notes from medical professionals
    • Second opinions

    Unfortunately, many workers’ comp claims are denied because of insufficient evidence. If you’re concerned with the outcome of your hearing, it’s wise to have a legal professional help you prepare for and present your case.

    There is too much at stake to not have the support, counsel, and back-up you need at the hearing. Even the DWC states on its site, “Though not required, it is usually advisable to consider the need for legal representation when filing a contested-case proceeding.”

    Rescheduling a Hearing

    If you need to reschedule your hearing, you essentially go through the same procedure as mentioned above for initial scheduling. When you’ve selected a few possible dates and times and have cleared them with the other party, you’ll need to reschedule the hearing via phone.

    You can call the DWC rescheduling number at (515) 281-6621 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Monday through Friday. If you have hired an attorney to assist you, he or she will likely handle any scheduling or rescheduling for you.

    Get a FREE Consult with a Workers’ Comp Attorney in Des Moines

    To discuss your case with a workers’ comp attorney in Des Moines, or to inquire about how an attorney can help you prepare for a hearing and improve your chances of a successful claim, contact our office,  Walker, Billingsley & Bair. Contact us today for a free consultation at 515-440-2852.

  • Can an employee injured at a company event in Des Moines still file for workers’ comp?

    An employee injured at a company event in Des Moines may or may not be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits, depending upon the nature of the event. This is a highly complex area of the law and the courts often have difficulty making rulings about employer responsibility at events.

    If you were injured at a company social, conference, off-site meeting, or other event while not officially on the clock, seek advice from a workers’ compensation attorney.

    Determining Eligibility for Workers’ Comp if an Employee is Injured at a Company Event

    Generally speaking, if you are injured while performing a job-related duty during the course of your employment, you are covered by workers’ compensation. The area becomes a little grey when you are injured at a company event and not necessarily while at your place of employment and not during working hours.

    The Iowa Division of Workers' Compensation or the courts will have to determine the employer’s liability for the injury based on whether or not the event can be considered truly work-related.

    Below are a couple of guiding factors the courts often use when making their determinations.

    • Were you expressly or implicitly required to attend the event?  
    • Did your employer receive benefit by your attendance?
    • Was your company assigned to the event?
    • Did it occur on company property?

    Litmus Test of Employer Liability for Employee Injured at a Company Event

    Iowa courts use a general litmus test for determining employer liability at company events, referred to as the “business-related benefit test.”  Essentially, if the company benefits from the event, it might be responsible for employee injuries at the event.

    However, if the only benefit the company receives is a boost in morale, the injured worker may not be eligible for workers’ compensation. It’s difficult to ascertain company liability in some instances; each case is different and needs to be carefully analyzed by a legal professional.

    For example, if you were injured while you were voluntarily at a company picnic, you weren’t paid, you didn’t have to be there, and your employer did not benefit from your attendance, you will likely not qualify for workers’ comp. Conversely, if you were at a mandatory off-site conference or if you were manning a concession table for your company at a community event, you will likely qualify.

    Example of Employee Injured at Company Event & Who Sought Workers’ Comp

    In the case of Gazette Communications v. Powell, a man injured himself while at a bowling event that an employee committee had sponsored. The workers’ comp commissioner decided that because the company benefited from the employee’s participation, workers’ compensation applied.

    However, the district court and the Court of Appeals later overturned that answer. They found that “morale and efficiency benefits are not alone enough to bring recreation within the course of employment.” So, because the sole benefit the employer received was an increase in employee morale, the event was not within the scope of employment.

    Our Workers’ Comp Attorneys Can Determine Your Eligibility

    If you were an employee injured at a company event in Des Moines and believe you’re eligible for workers’ compensation, we encourage you to give us a call to talk about your options. You might be eligible for benefits or additional types of compensation such as a third-party claim if another party (like a property owner or manager) was negligent and you suffered an injury because of that negligence.

    Contact us today at Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Des Moines for a free consultation: (641) 792-3595.

  • I need a doctor in Iowa to rate a burn injury from a work accident. Where can I go?

    Thousands of workers are injured every year while on the job or doing work-related tasks. When a worker in Des Moines sustains an injury while on the job, they are usually covered by workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation often provides benefits in the form of medical care, disability benefits, death benefits, and more.

    One type of injury that’s relatively common in some types of industries is burn injuries. Burns can range in severity, and often require medical attention and assessment. If you suffer such an injury and wish to seek workers’ comp, you’ll need a doctor in Iowa to rate the burn injury from your work accident. Here’s what you need to know about finding a doctor to rate the severity of the burn.

    Who chooses medical care?

    In Iowa, the law stipulates that if you want workers’ compensation to pay for your doctor and healthcare expenses, then you will have to receive treatment from a healthcare professional your company selects. Essentially, the employer has the right to choose the doctor that the employee sees. Ask your employer or supervisor to direct you to an approved doctor.

    The doctor will give you an impairment rating for your burn injury. If you feel the rating is too low, then you can request another examination by a doctor that you choose. Your employer pays for this independent medical examination (IME).

    Why should I get an IME after the company doctor rates my burn injury?

    When it comes to serious medical issues, getting a second opinion is often a good idea. A burn injury can range in severity, as you may have a first-degree, second-degree, or third-degree burn. Third-degree burns are the most extreme, and may cause permanent disfigurement because they affect all layers of skin and even muscles or other tissue.

    The degree of burn that you have may affect the benefits to which you’re entitled under workers’ compensation law. A first-degree burn may cause no impairment, for example, while a third-degree burn may cause lasting impairment that warrants a higher impairment rating.

    Permanent Partial Disability Benefits for Burns

    If your burn injuries cause permanent impairment, you may recover permanent partial disability (PPD) benefits. These provide 80 percent of pre-injury wages for a number of weeks depending on the body part that’s affected and the impairment rating issued by a doctor (for scheduled member disabilities).

    For example, if the burns cause permanent disfigurement on the face or head, then the worker is entitled to a maximum of 150 weeks of PPD benefits. If the impairment rating is 50 percent, then the number of weeks would be 50 percent of 150 weeks, or 75 weeks.

    In the case of an unscheduled member disability, the impairment rating plays a role in benefits, but many other factors are taken into consideration as well when determining PPD benefits.

    Hire a Lawyer if You Have a Dispute about Your PPD Benefits

    If you have been burned at work and are unhappy with the burn rating your doctor is issuing and need a doctor in Iowa to rate a burn injury from a work accident, you may see another doctor. If you are still disputing your benefits, you can seek help from an attorney.

    At Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Des Moines, our attorneys can provide legal relief during this difficult time. For help with medical care, filing a workers’ compensation claim, or getting the benefits you deserve, call us today at 888-435-9886 to get started. 

  • I injured my shoulder while performing a task at work. What should I do?

    When you’re injured in the workplace, there are a variety of steps you need to take to ensure you get the compensation you deserve, including filing a claim for workers’ compensation. If you’ve injured your shoulder while performing a task at work, refer to the following for what you should do.

    Injuries are a common occurrence in the workplace. In the state of Iowa in 2012, there were 4.5 total recordable cases of nonfatal occupational injuries per 100 full-time workers, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

    Seek Medical Attention if You Injured Your Should While Performing a Task at Work

    If you’ve sustained a shoulder injury, the first thing that you should do is seek medical attention from one of the following.

    • a first aid team.
    • emergency room doctor.
    • or, other type of doctor or specialist.

    This person(s) will provide you with the care you need, a diagnosis of the type of shoulder injury, and give you valuable medical information about your shoulder injury that will be essential when pursuing workers’ compensation benefits.                                                 

    Notify Your Employer if You Injured Your Should While Performing a Task at Work

    After receiving medical attention, the next most important thing you should do is to notify your employer of the injury. According to Iowa Worker’s Compensation Law Section 85.23, the law requires that the employer have notice of the employee’s injury within 90 days of the injury. As such, the sooner you inform your employer of the injury, the better. If you fail to inform your employer of your injury within the 90-day period, you risk forfeiting benefits.

    Document the Work-related Shoulder Injury

    When a workplace injury occurs, it is important to keep a thorough record of the injury and any related information.

    • when the injury occurred.
    • where the injury occurred.
    • what you were doing when the injury occurred.
    • why you were doing what you were doing when the injury occurred.
    • any medical information about the injury.
    • the conversation you had with your employer regarding the injury.
    • and, any other relative information regarding your shoulder injury.

    This documentation may prove to be essential in getting you the benefits you deserve when applying for workers’ compensation.

    File a Claim for Workers’ Compensation

    The majority of employees in Iowa are covered by workers’ compensation in the event that they receive an injury while at work, and, a shoulder injury that is the result of employment activities is also covered.

    If you have been injured at work, it’s important that you file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. Your employer or work supervisor should help you to file a report of injury, which will then be sent to a claims’ management service.

    If your claim is approved, you will begin receiving benefits immediately. If your claim is denied, you will be sent a letter in the mail. In the case that your claim for workers’ compensation is denied, you need to seek the help of a workers’ compensation attorney immediately.

    Seek the Help of a Lawyer if You Injured Your Should While Performing a Task at Work

    The law is designed to protect those injured while working. Unfortunately, some workers’ compensation claims are unfairly denied. If your claim is denied, or if you do not think you have received the benefits to which you are entitled under the law, seek the assistance of a legal professional.

    At attorney can help you to gather the documentation you need and will work to get you the benefits you deserve. If your claim has been denied or if you need help with the workers’ compensation claims filing process, don’t wait any longer to take action. At Walker, Billingsley & Bair, our attorneys are ready to work for you. To start fighting for your rights today, call our offices at 888-435-9886 or contact us online

  • How much is permanently disabled back injury case worth to workman’s compensation?

    If you sustained a permanently disabled back injury, workman’s comp is available if it is work-related. In Iowa, you may be entitled to permanent disability benefits. Consult an attorney to help you explore your options and file a claim. A qualified attorney will handle your workers’ compensation case and deal with any objections or denials so you can focus on getting well.

    What criteria do I have to meet to be eligible for workman’s comp benefits?

    In Iowa, to recover workers’ compensation benefits, you must be able to prove that your injury is related to your work duties or environment. An injury, for these purposes, is defined by the Iowa Administrative Code as “any health impairment other than the normal building up and tearing down of body tissues.”

    While many permanently disabled back injuries are the result of a sudden injury like falling from a height, some are related to overexertion over a longer period of time that can cause a serious back injury.

    Can I receive permanent disability workman’s comp benefits?

    If you have received a prognosis from your medical team that your back injury is permanent in nature, you may be eligible for permanent partial disability (PPD) benefits at the conclusion of the healing period, that is, when the worker goes back to work, can return to similar employment, or further healing is not anticipated. PPD benefits pay 80 percent of the worker’s spendable earnings up to $1,447 as of 2014.

    Iowa code Section 85.34 mandates that these benefits are distributed based on the seriousness of the permanent disability and, if appropriate, how it affects your ability to earn a living for the remainder of your lifetime. A permanently disabled back injury is an unscheduled disability, so more than just a doctor’s impairment rating – based on the AMA Guidelines to Permanent Impairment – is important to determine duration of benefits.

    The overall calculation process is complex and involves multiple factors designed to anticipate your loss of financial achievement over the duration of your entire remaining life.

    • age.
    • level of education.
    • changes in wages because of the injury.
    • and, more.

    In some cases, the claimant receives a settlement early in the process, and it’s important that you are wary of any initial offers. You could be entitled to much more than the insurer initially offered, and your attorney should review any such settlement agreements.

    What if I am totally and permanently disabled?

    If your permanently disabled back injury completely prevents you from working, workman’s comp may provide permanent total disability (PTD). This provides 80 percent of weekly spendable earnings up to $1,572 as of 2014. These benefits are available for as long as the injury is permanent and totally disabling.

    Call Walker, Billingsley & Bair for help

    Of course, lifetime medical benefits are also recoverable to pay for medical treatment and care for as long as needed whether you receive PPD or PTD. This can help ensure you receive proper treatment for the injury.

    If you’re suffering from a permanently disabling back injury, workman’s comp can help you recover medical and disability benefits. Walker, Billingsley & Bair in Des Moines can help you pursue fair benefits. We will help you file a claim, deal with any disputes, appeal a denied claim, and help with other aspects of the process as well. Call us today at 888-435-9886 or use our online contact form to set up an appointment with an attorney.